Donald Barthelme is the father of postmodern fiction and funny as all hell. This page represents everything I could find written by him on the web, some select extra commentary, and some stories I scanned myself or others contributed.
If you know of any other full-text sources, chunky excerpts or fun anecdotes please email me. Please check the mini-faq before emailing me DB questions.
- At the End of the Mechanical Age
- I Bought a Little City (audio, read by Donald Antrim)
- Concerning the Bodyguard (audio, read by Salman Rushdie)
- The Indian Uprising (audio, read by Chris Adrian)
- The Balloon (rtf)
- The Captured Woman
- City of Churches (chinese & english)
- The Game
- Me and Miss Mandible
- The Piano Player
- The School
- The Zombies (translated in Chinese)
Bits of Stories
- 40 Stories*
- 60 Stories*
- City Life*
- Come Back, Dr. Caligari*
- The Dead Father*
- Great Days*
- Guilty Pleasures*
- The King*
- Not-knowing : the essays and interviews of Donald Barthelme *
- Overnight to Many Distant Cities*
- Slightly Irregular Fire Engine, or the Hithering Thithering Djinn
- Snow White*
- Teachings of Don Barthelme
- Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts*
- Flying to America*
- Exquisite Creatures
- Jim Love up to Now
- Liquid City
- Robert Rauschenberg, Work from Four Series
- Sam's Bar
- I got permission from Frederick Barthelme to reprint these stories. His email address is findable online. He was very nice. I have heard you may need to contact Nick Wylie Agency of New York for for-profit uses of DBs works.
- Please do not ask me to do your homework for you. If you don't understand a story you have to read for class, try reading a few reviews of it, or some literary criticism.
- If you want to know what book a short story is in, many online library catalogs contain this level of detail, you may be able to find the answer yourself.
- If you want to buy his books, might I suggest half.com or powells?
- Critique de la Vie Quotidienne
- Glass Mountain
- Swallowing [NYT, 1972, via]
- The Ontological Basis of Two [pdf, written under pseudonym Michael Houston]
- King of Jazz
- Languishing, half-deep in summer...
- The Party
- The Sentence
- The Expedition
- Robert Kennedy Saved From Drowning
- The Phantom of the Opera's Friend
- Cortes and Montezuma
- The Death of Edward Lear
- The Dolt
- The first thing the baby did wrong...
- The Great Hug
- I wrote a letter...
- Me and Miss Mandible
- The Rise of Capitalism
- Shower of Gold
- Some of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby
Lit Crit and Essays
- The Devil's Decalogue - DB reviews Edward Gorey
- Donald Barthelme Saved From Drowning (png file) by John Leonard. A review of Unspeakable Practices, Unnatural Acts
- The Frequency: Solving the Riddle of the Dan Rather Beating by Paul Limbert Allman
- Donald Barthelme's Syllabus by Kevin Moffett
- Excerpt from a DB Interview with J. D. O'Hara
- Heteroglossia and collage: Donald Barthelme's 'Snow White.'
- Father-murder and father-rescue: the post-Freudian allegories of Donald Barthelme
- Donald Barthelme: The Modernist Uprising
- Mutant Anxiety: On Reading Barthelme's Narrator in "Me and Miss Mandible."
- An essay on The Indian Uprising
- Lit Crit: Robert Kennedy Saved from Drowning
- Lit Crit: Views of My Father Weeping
- Lit Crit: Me and Miss Mandible
- Lit Crit: The Indian Uprising
Biographical & Facts
- Barthelme Bio Info from Gale's Contemporary Authors
- brief bio from online handbook of Texas
- Barthelme's Papers -- includes bio info.
- DB bio from The Literary Encyclopedia
- A few DB photos from 1987
- one DB photograph
- Donald Barthelme: A Study of the Short Fiction from Studies in Short Fiction
- Apollo and Dionysus: Donald Barthelme's dance of life from Studies in Short Fiction
- DB's reading list
- Some Questions about Donald Barthelme interview with a former student
- DB images & bookcovers [the best DB resource]
- IMDB listing of two films written by DB
- NYTimes article by DB: "Grace Paley Faces Jail With 3 Other Writers "
- Thinking Man's Minimalist: Honoring Barthelme
- TOC to Overnight to Many Distant Cities and 40 Stories
- Scriptorium's Don B. page
- Some Don B. reviews
- Pynchon on Barthelme
- Don B. in the New York Times Book Review
<< last updated 28may14 by jessamyn >>